Water damage is one of the most common and costliest disasters your home can experience, costing billions of dollars annually. Approximately 4 out of 10 homeowners have experienced some type of loss from water damage. Luckily, most of it is preventable.
In general, home water damage destroys your home’s interior. Different causes are:
- Rain that leaks through your roof and damages your ceilings and walls.
- Hailstorms can break your windows and cause flooding or wet floors.
- Burst pipes that ruin your ceilings and/or floors.
- Overflowing toilets that cause floor soaking/leaking.
There are three home water damage categories:
- Category 1 is referred to as “clean” as it is toxin and sewage-free and does not pose any health risks to humans. These damages include burst pipes, overflowing bathtubs, sinks, or other appliances. These damages can usually be easily dried without long-term effects on health or property.
- Category 2 is referred to as “gray” and is more severe. It includes “dirty” water deriving from sump pump backups, toilets, or washing machines. This category poses some health risks. Liquid in this category usually contains chemical, bacteria, and/or mold levels. Restoration companies, like ServiceMaster Restore of Kalispell, Missoula, and Billings must help with this kind of cleanup and are usually required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Category 3 is the most severe of the three. It is referred to as “black” contamination and can present major health consequences. This unsanitary home water damage contains toxins and disease-causing organisms. Besides toilet or sewer backups containing feces, this category also includes flood/groundwater with animal feces, lawn fertilizers, tetanus, and other diseases.
No matter what category of home water damage you may experience, you have come to the right place. ServiceMaster Restore of Kalispell, Missoula, and Billings is America’s most trusted name in cleaning and restoration. Our friendly, licensed professionals are here to deliver peace of mind with fast response, expert service, and guaranteed satisfaction.