This is a great question and we get asked this question all the time by homeowners all over Montana. From Billings to Missoula to the Flathead, Montana homeowners have the same concern. How can I tell if my home has mold?
Mold is often times not visible. You may suspect mold due to an odor or an illness with an unknown cause. One thing is certain, if you do have mold, you will want to remedy the mold as soon as possible. Mold does not go away and in fact, spreads throughout the home if you do not remove the mold.
You Have Visible Mold Spores
This is the easiest way to tell that your home has mold. Visible mold spores are a strong indication that mold is growing in your house. This may have occurred over time from a leak somewhere in your house or from a pipe that was not fixed. Scrubbing the mold with soap or detergent will not remove the mold from your home. You will need to contact a mold remediation specialist such as ServiceMaster Restore.
You Have Flu-Like Symptoms
Mold can cause illness in people who have been exposed in their homes, especially over time. One of the easiest ways to determine if you’re illness is related to your home, is to leave your home for a few days and see if your symptoms begin to alleviate. If you begin to get sick again when you return home, you may want to have a mold specialist test your home for mold. (Please contact a physician if you are experiencing illness.)
Your Home Smells Musty or Damp
A musty or damp smell in a home may indicate that you have a mold issue inside of your home. Montana is often a dry environment however, mold can grow in homes here. It could be due a broken fan in your bathroom. A pipe burst that was not fully repaired. Sometimes, it is difficult to determine why a home smells musty or damp. Mold can have different species, colors and odors. It is important to have the home investigated for mold in order to determine if the odor is caused by mold.
Your Home Has a History of Flooding
Repeated flooding can lead to mold growing in your home. Mold generally does not grow immediately and can take time to grow after flooding in your home has occurred. You may want to check routinely for mold in the areas where flooding occurred in order to prevent it from spreading throughout the home.
ServiceMaster Restore has mold mitigation experts throughout Montana. Our team in Missoula, Billings and Kalispell have experience removing mold from homes. Find out more about how we can help you with mold removal by contacting our team at (406)752-4511. In mold situations, we will remove the mold using EPA registered products to clean surfaces like floors, countertops and walls. In more extensive mold situations, we will help eliminate the mold completely by cutting away the damp drywall, sanding the wood and replacing it if necessary. Find out more about how we can help you with mold removal today.
It makes sense that mold can trigger symptoms that are similar to the flu. My wife and I have been interested in hiring a mold remediation service recently. We’ll be sure to find a professional that can help keep our home safe from mold.
Mold can be a common issue in homes and although it isn’t always dangerous, it can cause structural damage to the house and it can negatively impact your health when left untreated and undetected.
The best thing to do if you know or suspect that there’s mold in your living area is to address the problem as soon as you can and as thoroughly as you can.